This award is be made to the radio amateur who in the preceding 12 month calendar year (January to December) has given outstanding service to Amateur Radio. The terms of award are listed below.
NZART Amateur of the Year Recipients
- 2019 Douglas Birt ZL1BFS
- 2017 Kelvin Barnsdale ZL3KB
- 2013 Rory Deans ZL3HB
- 2011 Barry Stewart ZL2RR
- 2010 David Searle ZL3DWS
- 1998 Charlie Moates ZL1DAC
- 1995 F Cramer QSM ZL2AIS
- 1992 D A McNeill ZL2AOV
- 1991 D V Andrews ZL2SX
- 1989 T W Ward ZL2BS
- 1987 Jointly P R Williams ZL2ARW, J S C Yaldwyn ZL2TRV
- 1986 R E Knowles ZL1BAD
- 1985 C McKenzie ZL1ARC
- 1984 G A Chapman ZL3PX
- 1981 J M Chaytor ZL1APC
- 1980 P J Rogers ZL3NH
- 1978 D Whillans ZL1AFS
- 1977 M W Lister ZL1BKL
- 1976 G A Kilpatrick ZL1BBS
- 1975 D J MacKay ZL3RW
- 1974 W R Hamer ZL2CD
- 1973 A G Godfrey ZL1HV
- 1971 W Forsyth ZL2ALO
- 1970 M Churton ZL1TB
NZART Amateur of the Year Award Rules
Presented at NZART Annual Conference
Award to be made to the radio amateur who in the preceding 12 month calendar year (January to December) has given outstanding service to Amateur Radio.
- Nominees must be active in more than one aspect of amateur radio and in these to have shown extraordinary service to their fellow amateurs,
- The nominee must be a current member of NZART, and
- The nominee should be unaware of the nominations.
- Nominations to be made to the President of NZART (at current address) to reach the President by April 1st following the year under review,
- Nominations must be made through the Secretary of a Branch of NZART, and
- Points of "service rendered" must be tabulated and certified as correct by the Branch Chairman (except that two other officers would be accepted if the circumstances warrant) and these must refer only to the 12 month period under review. Through these, the reason why the nominee should be considered must be clearly evident.
The President will decide on the Award allocation reporting the result to Council immediately prior to the Annual General Meeting. It is possible that in some years no award would be made even though recommendations were received.