04/1 Roll Call
Chairman: ZL2TW Stuart Watchman
Council Present: ZL1TAJ Neill Ellis, ZL2LK Peter Mulhare, ZL4XYZ Phill Dodds, ZL2YSL Scott Jackson, ZL3TNT Ann Fraser, ZL1BXA Howard Buxton
ZL3PAH Phil Holliday, ZL3DMC Don MacDonald
Minute Secretary: ZL2LS Topsy Scott
ZL4LDY Dave Allen
04/3 Confirmation of Minutes 6 August 2018 Confirmed
04/4 Additional Agenda Items
4/15 IARU Regional 3 Delegate
4/16 Exam Revue
04/5 Action points
Action Points Council Friday face to face meeting June 2016
10) ZL2TW Re-establish charitable status of AREC SAR Trust – Caravel. Complete
Action Points Council meeting Monday F/F Rotorua 2017
01) ZL1TAJ/ZL1UD former Councillor, to rewrite Councillors handbook. Ongoing
Action Points Council meeting September 2017
1) ZL2TW/AREC Governance Review Update
That item 10 above is complete and this can now resume Ongoing
Action Points Council meeting February 2018
1) ZL4XYZ Advertising with other organizations, prepare advert and circulate to Council. Next magazine to go into is the Motor Home association Ongoing
Action Points Council meeting Friday F/F June 2018
01) ZL2DL Include on invoice an extra line in the subscription reminder for donations. Complete
02) ZL2IK to trial reducing font size to include repeater maps in the book. To be completed by September. Ongoing
03) ZL2TLL/ZL3PAH to seek update from RSM on 60 meter permanent allocation.
06) Evan/ZL3PAH/ZL2DL to resolve issues with HQ database so membership details can be added to a protected area of the website ASAP
.A/P ZL2TW and ZL3PAH to speak to Evan regarding HQ computer issues Ongoing
Guide for new operator’s booklet actions by Council
01) ZL2YSL offered to get quote for printing.
02) ZL2TW suggested to review old call books for information to be used.
03) ZL2DL to coordinate the piecing together of an introductory booklet with ZL2YSL, ZL4XYZ, ZL1TAJ, ZL2IK.
04) ZL2DL to approach, Warren Harris. Kelvin Barnsdale, Ralph/Rosemary Boshier, Richard Smart, David Walker for input to the booklet.
05) ZL1TAJ to undertake Repeater Booklet be included on the web page.
Actions to be undertaken by Council for special Break In October 2018 to include material for promoting amateur radio/examinations by 10 September 2018
01) ZL2IK contact Hawkes Bay/Whangarei branches to document success stories of Ham Cram courses. Complete
02) ZL4LDY to approach ZL4DK on How to Run a Ham Cram Course. Complete
03) ZL3DMC How to recruit candidates for Ham Cram courses Complete
Target markets – young/hobbyists/empty nesters/non-association members.
04) ZL2TW/AREC source of new amateurs. Working on it. Complete
05) ZL2TW in Presidents Column (reminder what can you do for the association)
Will be in next Issue Break In Complete
06) ZL2DL Engage national training manager’s input, what is needed in branches etc. Response from Warren attached to this agenda. To be removed
07) ZL2TW What can NZART HQ do for you? Break In Column Complete With the assistance of DebbyZL2DL
08) ZL2AJ SOTA. Phill ZL4XYZ to contact Warren Complete
09) ZL4XYZ/ZL3PAH find information on the Buildathon project run by David Searle.
Item to be removed
10) ZL2IK/ZL3TNT/ZL2YSL Retention of new amateurs from courses. Complete
11) ZL1TAJ to find information on what can we all do to encourage potential new
Amateurs: e.g. Keeping Club rooms tidy and informative; Our own physical; appearance; Advertising local frequencies in regions on farm fences; Greeters at branches. Complete
The following articles were approved for publication in the October Break In:
Ham Cram Weekend– David Mulder ZL4DK
Recruitment & Training – Peter Mulhare ZL2IK
Amateur Radio Future Challenges – Neill Ellis ZL1TAJ
Recruiting Youth Into Amateur Radio – Phil Holliday ZL3PAH
What can NZART do for you – Debby Morgan ZL2DL
Maker Faire 2018 – Phill Dodds ZL4XYZ
Action Points Council meeting July 2018
01) ZL4XYZ/ZL2YSL looking at amateur radio involvement in Faire in Wellington November 4th and will report back to the next meeting. Complete
02) ZL2IK to report on progress with branches re charitable status and premium payable for PL insurance to include on association policy.
Only two branches remaining of the nine to submit information required Ongoing
04/6 Confirmation of New Members August 2018 Confirmed
04/7 Finance August 2018
b) Actuals versus Forecast Approved
04/08 Monthly Reports
LGLO Report Approved
04/09 Awards Manager Vacancy
A) Appointment of Awards Manager
Council officially approved the appointment of Andrew Barron ZL3DW as Awards Manager
B) Proposed changes to NZART Awards
Andrew tabled recommendations to Council for improving the running of Awards, which was approved.
Council to suggest ZL3DW place these recommendations in the Awards column in the next Break In
ZL2TW to contact Andrew and request he place his recommendations for Awards in his column in the October Break In.
04/10 Examination Supervisor Application
Dave Larcombe ZL1DL – Musick Point Br 86 (NZART member) Approved
04/11 New Plymouth Branch Constitution, amendment
Council approves subject to the inclusion from the maximum time from the suspension to the special meeting. ZL2TW to follow up with New Plymouth Branch.
AP ZL2TW to follow up maximum time required regarding constitutional changes for Plymouth Branch
04/12 Maker Faire 2018 – ZL4XYZ
ZL4XYZ reported the Maker Faire is the first in New Zealand and is being organised by Wellington City Council, Capital E Charitable Trust.
NZART will have a 100 square meter site. All local Branches and AREC have been contacted to assist with the project.
A budget submitted by ZL4XYZ for the event was approved by Council, to cover his costs. Reimbursement will be paid to ZL4XYZ on submission of receipts for expenditure.
04/13 Approval request for ‘Youth Officer’ – ZL3PAH
ZL3PAH recommended the position of Youth Officer be advertised in the October Break In
All were in favour of this new position.
A/P ZL3PAH to draw up an advertisement for Youth Officer Role for Break In.
04/14 Information Papers - Nil
4/15 IARU Regional 3 Delegate
Council approved the appointment of Dr John Moriarty as the NZART delegate for the IARU conference to be held in Seoul 2018.
Council noted the various agenda items posted by IARU R 3 to date
Council noted feedback given by the IARU Liaison Officer on a constitutional amendment sought by ORARI to elect the IARU R3 Chairman of Directors by popular vote of Member Societies instead of by the vote of the Directors themselves.
NZART informed opinion recommends that Dr Moriarty vote against this amendment. NZART accords discretion to the IARU Liaison Officer to vote in the best interests of the Association and its members if votes are taken.
4/16 Exam Syllabus Revue
Don McDonald ZL3DMC updated council on the resumption of the syllabus review aiming at updating the syllabus while maintaining the CEPT HAREC standards.
No further business
Meeting closed 20.56 hrs
Topsy Scott ZL2LS
On Air minute Secretary