Editor: - Denis Coulter ZL3DEN email@example.com
Distribution: - Alan Wallace ZL1AMW
NZART Website: www.nzart.org.nz
Issue 327 6 November 2015
In this Issue
1. Important Announcement from President Stuart ZL2TW
2. From NZART HQ
3. ELG Report
4. Break In Editor Report
5. IARU R 3 News Release
6. 90 Years of IARU - award
7. Official Broadcast
Off Shore News Links
1. Very important announcement from the President ZL2TW
Radio Fees Review
MBIE RSM is carrying out a review of radio licence fees:
This has the potential to significantly increase Amateur repeater, beacon and link fees.
Don Wallace, our ALO will be putting together an NZART submission to RSM on the topic.
Members who wish to contribute to the submission should email Don at ALO@nzart.org.nz (who is currently trying to get us a 5 MHz allocation in Geneva) with their input.
Members should also feel free to put in individual submissions but please discuss these with Don so we provide a united message.
2. From NZART HQ
Debby says…First of all a very big welcome aboard to you Denis Coulter ZL3DEN for taking
over the role of editor of HQ Info-line. Greatly appreciated!
Now I have managed to stay quiet about our mighty All Blacks, but as I write this and am inundated with applications for call signs, I am sad to think I won’t get a chance to go to the Wellington parade and thank them all for making us proud to be Kiwi’s. What a magnificent effort boys.
I am however very excited at the prospect of this year’s successful examination passes. Although I have yet to finalise statistics, I am fairly sure you branches have created history by the number of new amateurs to the hobby and examinations held in the past 11 months.
Today I have 16 applications for call signs to process, with North Shore and Otago branches hosting yet another successful course last weekend. Well done to you both.
Well that’s all I have time for…talk soon Debby ZL2DL
3. ELG Report
Hawkes Bay Amateur Radio Club BR13 has applied for a DStar repeater licence on 70 cm. The location will be Mt Threave, Topo50 BK 3924 1931. The frequency chosen will be 434.000 MHz repeater transmit & 439.000 MHz repeater receive (ELG - ARE035).
Please contact ELG for license applications & enquiries. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Fogerty ZL2ASF
ELG Team leader
Ph 03 528 9366 home
Ph 03 528 8707 work
Ph 021 050 4054 mobile
4. From the Break In Editor
Along with a change in Break-In Editor from Christchurch to Upper Hutt, please note that the postal address for all items relating to Break-In, HAMADS, Advertising, Letters to the Editor, etc should all now be addressed to NZART’s PO Box in Upper Hutt. While the PO Box in Christchurch will be maintained until it expires in March 2016, all postal items should now be sent to:
PO Box 40-525
Upper Hutt 5140
The deadline for copy for the next issue of Break-In, is 10 November 2015, for the November/December 2015.
Mark Gooding ZL2UFI
5. International Amateur Radio Union Region 3
Date: 17 October 2015
16th IARU Region 3 Conference
1. The triennial conference of Region 3 was inaugurated on Monday 12th October 2015.
2. The meeting observed a minute silence in memory of Fred Johnson ZL2AMJ and Ken Pulfer VE3PU who went SK during past three years.
3. Mr. Sutiyoso, YB0ST, as the President of Conference, welcomed everyone on behalf of the host Society, the Indonesian Amateur Radio Organization (ORARI).
4. Mr. I Made Mangku Pastika, the Governor of Bali, sent his vice-Governor Mr. Ketut Sudikerta to convey his welcome message to the Conference and welcomed everyone to Bali. He commended the contribution of ORARI and wished every success for the Conference.
5. Mr. Gopal Madhavan VU2GMN, Chairman of Directors of IARU Region 3, thanked the guests for their attendance and welcomed the delegates to the 16th IARU Region 3 Conference on behalf of the IARU Region 3 Officers.
6. Mr. Timothy Ellam VE6SH, President of the IARU, welcomed the participants on behalf of the IARU Officers and the International Secretariat and thanked ORARI for hosting the 16th Triennial Conference of IARU Region 3.
He then pointed out that the WRC-15 is to be held soon in November 2015 and IARU team would make their best effort for a possible allocation to amateur service near 5 MHz at WRC-15.
7. Mr. Rudiantara, Minister of Communication and Information Technology of Republic of Indonesia, also welcomed the participants to the Conference. He recognized the important role of amateur radio in disaster communication in this country with many islands. He also wished the Conference every success.
Mr. Rudiantara was then joined by other speakers on the stage and formally declared the Conference open jointly with Tm Elam by striking the gong.
8. The conference saw participation by 15 societies in person (ARRL/ARSI/CRSA/CTARL/ HARTS/JARL/KARL/MARTS/NZART/ORARI/RAST/RSSL/SARTS/VARC/WIA) and three by proxy (BDARA/PARA/RSGB). Also attending was the IARU President Tim Ellam VE6SH, Vice President Ole Garpestad LA2RR and Secretary Rod Stafford W6ROD, from Region 1 President Don Beattie G3BJ and Region 2 President Reinaldo Leandro YV5AM and Vice President Jose Molina YS1MS.
9. Two working groups were formed
• WG1-Policy matters that included education, training, development of amateur radio and international and regional conferences involving radio administrations with special concentration on Youth.
• WG2- Operational and Technical Matters, including emergency communications, digital modes, APRS common frequency and band plans.
• In addition a separate Finance committee was formed where all delegates were invited to participate.
• A total of 37 papers were discussed by the working groups and recommendations submitted to conference.
10. The Administrative Council of IARU also met just before the Region 3 conference with Chairman Gopal Madhavan VU2GMN and Director Shizuo Endo JE1MUI participating on behalf of Region 3 with Director Wisnu Widjaja YB0AZ and Secretary Ken Yamamoto JA1CJP also attending as observers. The Administrative Council members also participated in the conference.
11. The conference noted that ORARI amateur satellite LAPAN A2 was launched successfully in September 2015 from a launch pad in India.
12. The following six were elected by voting following seven nominations:
a) Rhee, Joong Guen HL1AQQ
b) Shizuo Endo JE1MUI
c) Peter Young VK3MV
d) Gopal Madhavan VU2GMN
e) Wisnu Widjaja YB0AZ
f) Don Wallace ZL2TLL
The directors then elected Gopal Madhavan VU2GMN as their Chairman, which was endorsed by conference.
Katsumi (Ken) Yamamoto JA1CJP was returned unopposed as Secretary.
13. The conference were in praise of the ORARI organizing committee, headed by Mr. Gjelani Sutama YB1GJS and the dedicated team of young volunteers, the hotel, arrangements for meetings etc.
14. The conference thanked Syarif Hidayat YB1FWO for taking on the role of conference chairman and conducting the meetings with efficiency.
15. One invitation was received from KARL to host the 17th Regional Conference of IARU Region 3 at Seoul in the Republic of Korea. Presentations were made by KARL and the conference adopted to hold the next conference in Korea in late 2018. (ARDF World Championships will also be held in Korea, 2018.
6. IARU 2 October 2015 issued a press release. IARU 90 Award
In order to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the founding of the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) in 1925, a very nice IARU award is being issued for those stations who have contacted 10 member-society jubilee stations during the period of time from 1
January 2015 to 31 December 2015.
Details regarding the award can be found at
The award is being administered by Soyuz Radiolyubitelei Rossii [SRR], the Russian Amateur Radio Union and any inquiries about the award can be directed to email@example.com.
Rod Stafford W6ROD
Int'l Amateur Radio Union
P.O. Box 310905
Newington, CT 06131-0905 USA
Phone: +1 408 238 4671
Mobile: +1 408 717 3309
Many countries noted this date by activity of special event stations using calls with “90IARU” suffix (like DJ90IARU, SF90IARU, R90IARU, etc.). More details can be found on http://iaru90.hamlogs.net/iaru
Costa Rica is a member of the IARU and therefore we ask you to organize the jubilee station(s) with the suffix **90IARU (example TI90IARU) in your country until 31.12.2015.
If you will do it we’ll add your call(s)in the list of active stations in WEB-site mentioned above and you will get password for uploading the logs of your station (stations).
"90 years of IARU" award is issued only in electronic form according to uploading logs. We plan to maximal activity in December 2015.
73! Aliy Kuysokov - UA6YW (Coordinator, chief of R90IARU)firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Official Broadcast
Next Official Broadcast will be made on Sunday 29th November
The broadcast is made on 3900 kHz, and on the National System and local VHF repeaters.
The broadcast is made at 2000 hours (8:00 pm), with a repeat at 2100 hours (9:00 pm).
Members and Branches are welcome to submit material for inclusion in the Broadcast to the e-mail or postal address shown below.
P O Box 40-525
UPPER HUTT 5140
Off Shore News Links
• ARRL News & Features
• RSGB News
• IARU Region 3
• Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 18 November. Closing date is Wednesday 16 November.