held via Skype 15th February 2014 Commencing 0900 hrs.
Visitors: 09:30am Don Wallace ZL2TLL ALO
After a number of attempts to reach ZL2SX and ZL2TAR via Skype, ZL2UDF agreed to visit them to install Skype for the purpose of Council contact in the future.
SS8/2 Roll Call
Chairman: Vaughan Henderson ZL1TGC
Council: Phil King ZL1PK, Stephen Hayman ZL1TPH, Neill Ellis ZL1TAJ
Warren Harris ZL2AJ, Max Wheatley ZL2MAX,
Stewart Watchman ZL2TW, Phil Holliday ZL3PAH
Terry Thomas ZL4TAE
Treasurer: Evan Sayer
Minute Sec: ZL2DL
Malcolm Wheeler ZL2UDF arrived 10:14.
SS8/5 Additional items
SS8/6 Action points
November 2011 Council Net
07 ZL2TW to do promotional Power point presentation for NZART and submit to Council for approval.
ZL2TW has sent an update via e-mail, all approve of progress so far. Ongoing
F/F February 2013 Wellington Airport
01 Finance Sub Committee to review all HQ expenditure and discuss with Debby/Evan. This is pertaining to the photocopier.
Additional action required ZL1VH: to write a further letter to Sharp NZ in Wellington, to jog them along re doing something for NZART.
No further progress made, ZL3PAH has not been able to get hold of Sharp. They will not do anything until it makes financial sense to them also.
A/P ZL2DL to monitor and report on progress with SHARP
07 ZL1VH to look into the costs for the production of the ARRL based sticker “When all else fails…Amateur Radio”.
Additional Action: ZL1VH to have a look at another design, we might have a couple of designs to choose from.
ZL1GMB is away at the moment so no progress.
ZL2LS is keen to see some stickers produced and has offered to help ZL1VH. A/P ZL1VH to discuss promotional stickers with ZL2LS.
08 FMTAG/ZL4TAE to prepare a process of replacement engineering
skills. ZL1TPH has prepared a draft Proposal for the FMTAG Structure and circulated for consideration by Council. To be reviewed at next meeting in April. Ongoing
Additional Action ZL1VH has emailed David ZL2SX advising him that Council is not happy not knowing whom this person is. Nothing has been heard from ZL2SX. Complete noting that no reply was received.
10A ZL3PAH HQ processes and documentation.
ZL3PAH advised he has a draft document from Debby. Once formatted and ARX duties included will be circulated.
ZL3PAH is happy that with this if someone needed to take over from Debby, they could use this to do so.
Action Points Monday Meeting of Council Conference 2013
08 ZL3PAH and Finance Sub Committee to review the costs and time involved in ARX duties. Ongoing
These action points are contingent on the procedure manual. It is essential that the time allocations to ARX duties are documented to determine time and current charges cover costs incurred.
09 ZL2DL create a time sheet on ARX duties to run over 3mths period
Then report back. Complete
10 ZL2AJ to liaise with Debby and prepare an FAQ summary on ARX
ARX FAQ is it aimed at members or who is it for?
Debby suggested that this action is no longer required and will be answered when the procedure manual is complete. Complete
09:30 DON ZL2TLL – Requested approval to attend the 3rd APT Conference Preparatory Group (APG15-3) in Brisbane in June. In addition to the Conference, there is a two day training course being held prior to the APG meeting. Don wishes to see if there is any benefit attending the training course.
ZL3PAH suggested that this has to be Council’s decision based on financial position and costs involved. Council must determine the value to the Association, therefore cost benefits must be considered.
The Asia Pacific Telecommunity is one of four groups around the world that put forward positions from their respective administrations; APT puts forward the Pacific position which includes NZ.
Once Council has had a chance to review budgets, they will advise ZL2TLL if he is able to attend the APG15-3 meeting. Approval for the two day training is waiting on a recommendation from the ALO.
Action Points Council Meeting September 2013
02 ZL1VH has written up job vacancy advertisement for Break In Editor position. ZL1VH to contact this person and report back to council. Complete
The person who was interested is no longer able to undertake this role, however Stephen ZL1TPH has offered to do this in the interim, until a new Editor can be found. ZL1TPH will meet with John ZL3IB and the Break In team on the 6 & 7 March.
A/P ZL1VH will continue to advertise in Break In and HQ Info-line for a permanent Editor for Break-In.
A/P ZL1VH to contact John Walker and advise that Steve Hayman will be down to meet the team and find out some of the roles. Phil ZL3PAH to meet him.
A/P ZL1TPH to arrange flights with Debby for his visit to Christchurch on 6 & 7 March 2014
Council suggested ZL1TPH query the Break In annual honoraria, to clarify how this is paid and to whom.
Action Points Council Meeting October 2013
01 ZL3PAH to circulate updated strategic plan to Council – discussed in
SS8/7 Annual Reports
1) Presidents Annual Report – ZL1TGC - will be received by 4th March meeting.
2) Business Manager’s Annual Report – ZL2DL
3) Examinations Coordinator/ARX Annual Report – ZL2DL
4) AREC ND Annual report – ZL2TFZ – to be received by 4th March
A/P ZL1VH to discuss reimbursement of costs for AREC with ZL2TFZ
5) FMTAG Annual Report – ZL2TAR – not approved at this time
6) Break In Editor – ZL3IB Received
7) QSL Bureau – ZL2RR
8) Break In Advert Manager/Call Book report – ZL2AHB Received
9) Monitoring Service – ZL1GWE
A/P ZL1VH to reply to John Martin, thanking him for his suggestions. offering assistance where possible by Council.
10) Official Broadcast – ZL2BHF
11) Awards manager – ZL3GX
12) Administration Liaison Officer – ZL2TLL
13) HQ Info-line Editor Annual report.
14) National Training Officer – ZL2AJ
15) Treasurer’s Annual Report – Evan Sayer
18) Council Liaison Officer report – ZL1TPH
Radio Science Education Trust – ZL3QL is looking for new trustees. ZL1VH suggested ZL2DL contact Terry Carrell ZL3QL for the annual report.
Council accepted reports submitted with a couple of minor adjustments.
SS8/8 Annual Accounts Draft
a) Draft Annual Accounts
b) Actuals versus budget for Jan/Feb
Annual accounts Page 7 XXXX figures should read as1710 of the 1972 members had paid…
241 New members on the promo, member numbers went up, but the sub was discounted, so no benefit in 2013. Hopefully they will renew and we will see the benefit.
Call Book was not produced in hard copy, so a significant saving was made.
Council expenses showed quite high, however has reduced since the previous year, so too has QSL costs.
ACC level is low, Evan suggested that the previous year was very high. However ACC levies dropped due to the significant profit they returned.
ZL3PAH asked, should there be a contingency line against Break In as the Editor is resigning. Placing a contingency for additional typesetter time of 25 hours per issue @ $65 per hour would equate to $6,500 for the four remaining copies, which we need to account for in our budget.
He also advised that we should separate Break In and Call Book.
ZL1TPH will undertake the Break In Editors role temporarily, however we may need to use the typesetter in Christchurch who can lay the magazine out. This will cost the Association more.
Has consideration been given to merging Break In with Amateur Radio from Australia? ZL1VH advised this has been discussed; however there were logistic issues as AR is published monthly and Break In bi-monthly
A suggestion that the Break In Team honorarium could be offset against the additional costs incurred with a new editor
ZL2UDF queried the safety issues of our database. Evan advised the database is on a separate computer and not connected to the internet.
Back ups are done regularly both by Evan and Debby.
Ratification of December 2013 financials.
Moved ZL1TPH Seconded ZL1PK Carried
SS8/09 Remits Non-Transmitting
REMIT (Branch 50 NZART)
“That NZART Council seek advice and implement this advice in its efforts to operate effectively according to the principles of good governance and the laws of New Zealand.”
“Governance means thinking about strategic issues, rather than the operational day-to-day running of the business.”
- Quote from the New Zealand Institute of Directors
Based on good governance principles, NZART should deal with the direction of the Association and work with national and international bodies and other such matters which individual branches cannot do by themselves. NZART should be a decision-making body. All other matters should be responsibly delegated to branches, advisory committees, and operational committees or individuals. Where policies are required, advisory committees should provide clear advice that Council can either accept or reject with reasons.
Where decisions are not taken, as a result of inadequate advice, Council should seek further advice from a committee or from other sources.
A/P ZL1VH to draft a Council comment that will be included with this remit.
Wording for a remit to change the requirements of auditing for the annual accounts.
A/P ZL2TW to contact Evan re wording on a Council remit to change the audit requirements of the Association.
SS8/10 Award nominations
There will be a life member award nomination at this year’s AGM, however no nominations have been received for amateur of the year, young amateur of the year, Jumbo Award, etc.
A/P ZL2DL Publicise in next Break In and HQ Info-line nominations for awards.
SS8/11 Conference 2014
ZL2TW advised advertising for the conference, has been on OB in Break In and in HQ Info-line.
Registrations will be $199, which is less than some previous years.
All Council accommodation and meeting venue has been arranged at the Scenic Circle Hotel.
SS8/12 Additional Satellite Service Spectrum on 2m
ZL1TPH recommended that the proposal as submitted be approved.
He further suggested that members should receive feedback from this also and ask what they think of this idea.
A/P ZL1VH to advise ZL2TLL he can include in his next column in Break and ask for feedback on the Additional Satellite Service.
SS8/13 70cm Band Plan
Motion: Council approve the recommended band plan from the 70 cm Review Committee.
Moved ZL1TAJ Seconded ZL1PK Carried
Status of the motion was queried. The mover and seconder were both members of the Review Group, the seconder being the chairman of the group, so all was above board.
No further submissions have been received since publication of the 70cm Band Plan in the last issue of Break In.
A/P ZL1PK to place a notice in Break In and HQ Info-line, to publish the final band plan. Noting it was adopted by Council at their meeting on the 15th February 2014.
SS8/14 Financial monthly spreadsheet format
ZL2UDF made a suggestion to amend the monthly spreadsheet, however Council understands what is received from Evan, therefore no need to change.
SS8/15 Council policy on Branches retaining $50 for each new member submitted.
History, this was a membership initiative introduced approximately 5 years ago to introduce new members to the Association. Only one branch appears to have made use of this.
ZL3PAH suggested writing a letter to all branches to encourage them to sign up those members within a branch who are not currently financial members of NZART.
A/P ZL1VH to draft a letter and circulate to Council that can be sent to branches suggesting the benefit to branches, if they get some of their non NZART members to rejoin the Association.
Council queried the usefulness of pro rata membership. ZL3PAH has requested that a policy document be written with regard to the pro rata subscription rates.
Specifically that pro rata rates are only applicable if a member is joining for the entire year, not towards the end of the year when subscription invoices have been posted for the following years subscription.
ZL2DL advised, if a person joins midway through a year and pays the full price, all back issues of Break In for that current year are posted to the new member.
A/P ZL1VH will write a policy document on pro rata subscriptions and discounting of the same.
SS8/16 Strategic Plan
Now down to 5 main core objectives. Council agree the plan is now something that can be worked with.
ZL2AJ queried the competency in the persons on Council to undertake the plan. ZL3PAH suggests that while Council will own the plan, it is not necessarily up to each individual to do on their own, others can be brought in to assist.
ZL3PAH is now in the process of writing an action plan in order to get the plan underway. Council needs to push along with the areas they put their hand up to assist.
ZL2AJ will own objective # 1 with assistance.
ZL1TPH will own objective # 2 although it is noted, this will not start until a permanent Break In Editor has been appointed.
ZL2TW will own objective # 3
ZL3PAH with assistance from ZL4TAE will own objective #4
ZL1VH with assistance from ZL2UDF will own objectives # 5
ZL3PAH, suggested, rather than the document leave Council, he will write an article for Break In to introduce it to members in a more readable format. However should a Councillor wish to seek assistance from their colleagues, he has no problem with this. There are no copyright issues with the plan.
ZL1VH asked that each Councillor who has undertaken a core objective, to report on it at the Friday meeting of Council in Blenheim.
SS8/22 General Business
IARU Region 3 attendance
Council had considerable discussion regarding the attendance of NZART at IARU Region 3 meetings and the ramifications if we did not send a representative, as they do not feel we get value for money.
A suggestion was that perhaps between WIA and NZART one person could represent us.
A/P ZL1VH to ask ZL2TLL for an evaluation of what he sees as the value that the Association receives in attending such meetings for IARU.
Council wished to make special mention of the ease with which the Skype meeting went. It is also noted that a minimum of $2500 was saved in meeting like this.
SS8/23 Information Papers
a) IARU R 3 Financial Report 2013
ZL1VH thanked everyone for their attendance and their contributions to the meeting.
Meeting closed at 2:23pm