Minutes for Council Meeting
Held via Skype on Tuesday 5th November 2013 commencing 7:30pm
06/1 Roll Call
Chairman: ZL1VH Vaughan Henderson
ZL1PK Phil King, ZL1TPH Stephen Hayman, ZL1TAJ Neill Ellis
ZL2AJ Warren Harris, ZL2MAX Max Wheatley, ZL2UDF Malcolm Wheeler
ZL2TW Stuart Watchman
ZL4TAE Terry Thomas
Min Sec: Topsy ZL2LS
Phil Holliday ZL3PAH
06/3 Confirmation of Minutes October 2013
Moved ZL1PK 2nd by ZL1TPH Carried
05/4 Additional Agenda Items
06/13 and 06/14
06/5 Action points
07 ZL2TW to do promotional Power point presentation for NZART and submit to Council for approval. Still looking for more photos to be used with the presentation and will re-send list of what is wanted. Ongoing
F/F February 2013 Wellington Airport
01 Finance Sub Committee to review all HQ expenditure and discuss with
Debby/Evan. This is pertaining to the photocopier.
ZL3PAH has been chasing up Sharp people, had no response Ongoing
07 ZL1VH to look into the costs for the production of the ARRL based sticker
“When all else fails…Amateur Radio”.
Action: ZL1VH to have a look at another design, we might have a couple of designs to choose from. Should have a draft for next meeting. Ongoing
08 FMTAG/ZL4TAE to prepare a process of replacement engineering skills if
ZL2TAR is not available. David to report back to Council on a suitable replacement in this event.
Action ZL1VH to have another discussion with David ZL2SX regarding this.
ZL1VH has not been able to contact David as yet, will keep chasing up and then email council Ongoing
10A ZL3PAH HQ processes and documentation.
ZL3PAH will be at Headquarters either 26th or 28th November Ongoing
Action Points Monday Meeting of Council Conference 2013
01 ZL3PAH and Finance Sub Committee to review the costs and time involved in ARX duties. Still working on this. Ongoing
02 ZL2DL create a time sheet on ARX duties to run over 3mths period then
report back. ZL2DL is still adding to her info as to what she does with the ARX duties. Ongoing
03 ZL2AJ to liaise with Debby and prepare an FAQ summary on ARX duties.
An email has been sent to Debby, ZL2AJ is working through the spread sheet Debby sent to him. This is a work in progress. Ongoing
Action Points Council Meeting September 2013
02 ZL1VH has written up job vacancy advertisement for Break In Editor position.
Advert has gone to Break In and also Info Line, there has been one expression of interest to date but has not made a commitment as yet, so will continue with further advertising to see if anyone else shows interest. Adverts in both Break In and Info Line. Ongoing
Action Points Council Meeting October 2013
01 ZL1VH to ring Debby ZL2DL regarding salary column. Done by email.
02 ZL3PAH to review Payments spreadsheet when he visits Headquarters later this month.
Thiswill happen at the end of the month when Phil in at Headquarters Ongoing
03 ZL2AJ Train the Trainer Course planned for October 2013 did not go ahead
due insufficient numbers. Planning for a new course in 2014 in Palmerston North, but need to check dates. Branch 30 is keen to have ZL2AJ down there to do a weekend. ZL2AJ to report back to council when sorted. Ongoing
04 ZL3PAH to circulate updated strategic plan to Council
ZL3PAH has sent out updated plan and is awaiting feedback. Ongoing
05 ZL1TPH research donation of rebate from subscriptions for IARU attendance. ZL1TPH has sent out emails re this but would like it to be discussed at the 2014 Face to Face meeting Complete
06/6 Confirmation of New Members October 2013
Moved by ZL1TPH 2nd by ZL2UDF
ZL2DL to check the 2nd person’s name and call sign is correct.
06/7 Monthly Financials October 2013
a) Ratification of Payments Moved ZL2TW 2nd by ZL2UDF
b) Actuals versus Budget Noted
06/8 Monthly Reports
a) QSL Bureau report Moved by ZL1TPH 2nd by ZL2AJ
b) FMTAG report recommendations
Moved by ZL4TAE 2nd by ZL2UDF that only the Branch 30 final recommendations to go ahead. Branch 74 final recommendation was not approved by Council. Refer to Agenda item 06/12 below.
c) AREC August Financial report. Noted with thanks.
06/9 Call Book 2014 for sale to Non Members ZL1TPH
After some lengthy discussion re this subject it was
Moved by ZL2UDF that the CD Rom call book for 2013 / 2014 year be for sale to non members for the cost of $44.00. 2nd by ZL1PK Carried.
ZL1TPH was against this motion.
ZL1TPH then moved that the call book should not be for sale to New Zealand non member Amateurs. There was no seconder for this motion. Lapsed.
06/10 Council meeting in February ZL1VH
Traditionally this is a F2F meeting held in Wellington . To save money could we do this with a special Skype meeting? Items for discussion are the Annual Reports, Remits, and finance/budget.
Discussion followed and a decision was made to give the February face to face meeting a go on Skype. This would save the association a considerable amount of money.
A suggested date was set that being 15th February 2014. All Councillors are asked to check if this date is suitable, if not it will then be rescheduled to another date that suits all.
06/11 Examination Supervisors
Two applications from South Otago Branch 35
John Blair ZL4AM
Leslie Gray ZL4AS
ZL1PK moved 2nd by ZL2AJ
A/P ZL2DL to let the branch know of council’s decision
06/12 9cm Beacon Frequency submission ZL1TPH
Council noted that objections had been made to the application by Branch 74 for this beacon frequency but the application appears to have proceeded to final recommendation stage without those objections being addressed.
ZL1VH to contact FMTAG as to why this application went ahead to final approval as it is contrary to the current band plan.
A/P ZL1VH to report back to council.
06/13 AREC ZK Callsign Policy
ZL1VH has spoken with ZL2TLL, ZL4JY and ZL4JS re the amendment in the PIB 46.
The amendment that ZL2AJ raised has been acknowledged and there will be some amendment to the wording in the next issue of PIB 46.
After a long discussion ZL1VH moved that Council accept the call sign policy paper with the amendment re the use of the ZK2 call signs.
It was then put to the vote as follows;
ZL1PK In favour ZL1TPH Against
ZL1TAJ Against ZL2AJ Abstained
ZL2MAX Against ZL2UDF Against
ZL2TW In favour ZL4TAE In favour
ZL1VH In favour
In favour 4
With it being a tie vote the President ZL1VH had the casting vote. ZL1VH voted in favour therefore the vote was:
In Favour 5
Against 4 Carried
06/14 Additional Satellite Service Spectrum on 2m
To be carried over to next month’s meeting
06/15 Information Papers
06/16 Leave of Absence
06/17 General Business
Hamilton District plan. ZL1PK asked this to be carried over for discussion next month, where he will give an update, but will circulate some information in the meantime.
No further business meeting closed at 21.45hrs
Council Minute Secretary