for NZART Council meeting held at Wellington Airport De Havilland Room16th February 2013 Commencing 0830.
FF8/2 Roll Call
Chairman: Vaughan Henderson ZL1TGC
Council: Phil King ZL1PK, Stephen Hayman ZL1TPH, Neill Ellis ZL1TAJ
John Andrews ZL2HD, Fred Johnson ZL2AMJ, Warren Harris ZL2AJ, Stewart Watchman ZL2TW, Phil Holliday ZL3PAH
Terry Thomas ZL4TAE
Minute Sec: ZL2DL
Visitors: 09:30am Don Wallace ZL2TLL ALO
09:45am David ZL2SX, Doug ZL2TAR FMTAG
FF8/5 Additional items
FF8/6 Action points
Action Point Council meeting November 2012
02 ZL1TGC to contact the ALO regarding Channel 39 and RSM and circulate via Council.
See Agenda Item 8/20 for action taken.
Update on existing channel 39 licenses: RSM have advised their intention to shut down all Channel 39 licences, effective June 2013, earlier than originally planned.
Zl2TLL has been in contact with the affected ATV repeater Trustees to determine impact and will provide an update later in meeting. Complete
02 ZL1TAJ Produce an information paper on why Council wants to have a 70cm bandplan review giving the background and reasons for conducting this review.
Note: Previous wording of this action point is incorrect should be 70cm bandplan review, not FMTAG.
ZL1TAJ presented the meeting with the information paper. Chairman ZL1TGC thanked ZL1TAJ for his paper which collated all the information leading to the decision to review the 70cm bandplan.
ZL1TGC to advise ZL1BNB that his request was approved for financial assistance. Complete
FF8/7 Annual Reports
1) Presidents Annual Report – ZL1TGC
2) Business Manager’s Annual Report – ZL2DL
3) Examinations Coordinator/ARX Annual Report – ZL2DL
4) AREC ND Annual report – ZL2TFZ
Amend header 2012 report.
5) FMTAG Annual Report – ZL2TAR
6) Break In Editor – ZL3IB
7) QSL Bureau – ZL2RR
8) Monitoring Service – ZL1GWE
10) Break In Advert Manager/Call Book report – ZL2AHB
11) Official Broadcast – ZL2BHF
12) Awards manager – ZL3GX
13) Radio Science Education Trust – ZL3IB
14) Administration Liaison Officer – ZL2TLL
15) Reflector Moderator – ZL2IA
16) National Training Officer – ZL2AJ
17) Treasurer’s Annual Report – Evan Sayer
18) HQ Info-line Editor Annual report.
19) Officer Liaison Report – ZL1TPH
Moved all reports as read approved.
Moved ZL1TPH Seconded ZL1PK Carried
FF8/8 Annual Accounts Draft
a) Draft Annual Accounts
b) Actuals versus budget for Jan/Feb
ZL3PAH queried concerns of costs for photocopying. Evan advised there were increased costs with the recent promo, however monitoring of costs needs to be done.
Evan reported there was a big impact on the budget due to the membership promo which included postage, photocopying and wages costs. In addition overseas travel, Call Book hardcopy and CD Rom production all added to the bottom line expenditure.
No rebate in 2011 hit our membership harder than was ever anticipated.
Evan advised Council needs to be constantly aware of costs and areas for a reduction wherever possible.
A/P ZL2TW to review and discuss with Debby/Evan
Discussion followed on the topic of “Where to from here?”
We need to attract new members. There is also a need for promotional material.
Use volunteers whey they can be effective in minimising costs.
ZL3PAH suggested that reserves could be used to invest in the future of the Association.
A/P ZL2DL to circulate banner/flag promotional material
A/P ZL2AJ to draft a train the trainer course for branches
Council asked Evan Sayer: Where do you envisage our business systems going forward such as the accounting and database systems? Is there a need to upgrade? Can they be incorporated into an online system? Evan advised there would be considerable costs associated with going online.
Should another burglary or break in occur at Headquarters, we could be operational within a day, with borrowed equipment.
FF 8/9 removed
Manawatu Branch 20 'Voting on remit's' - Transmitting
Replace 6.4A of the constitution with:
Voting on any motion at a general meeting must be conducted in any one of the following ways, at the discretion of the Chairperson.
i) By voice
ii) By show of hands
iii) By actual count of votes
Insert new clause to be 6.4B:
Voting on any remit at a general meeting must be conducted by actual count of votes. This may be achieved via a pre formatted voting form that is tallied while the meeting carries on it business, with the results announced later in the meeting, so as not to hold proceedings up.
Renumber clauses 6.4B – G to become 6.4 C- H accordingly.
Currently remits are often won or lost on voice. Some motions are in no doubt, however others appear closer. With branches having different voting weights, delegates representing various branch interests, and split votes within branches, it is considered too inaccurate to record issues as important as remits to be won or lost on a simple voice vote. This remit enforces an actual count, eliminating non delegates votes to confuse the mix, and the advantage the “nays” have to beat the “ayes”. The remits can be put, discussed and voted on a preformatted form. At the end of remit time, voting forms can be handed in to the counted while the meeting continues. When the votes have been tallied, the results can be given. This is a fairer and more democratic system without inhibiting the flow of the AGM unfairly.
Refer to branch, wording to be reconsidered as what they want to achieve as there appears to be a conflict. The whole of paragraph 6.4 needs to be rewritten
A/P ZL2AJ to approach branch to consider rewording remit.
FF8/11 Award nominations
Nominations for Jumbo Godfrey, and Life Membership were discussed by Council.
A nomination for life membership was discussed and will be presented at the AGM.
The nominee for Jumbo Godfrey award was also approved by Council.
Another worthy recipient was identified for a certificate of service.
FF8/12 Promotional stickers
ZL1TGC suggested the ARRL sticker is an appropriate method for marketing.
“When all else fails….Amateur Radio”
Vaughan has approached ARRL for the rights to use this phrase, and it has been approved, providing we acknowledge them as having copyright.
The cost to print is approximately .32cents each to produce 200. This is yellow back ground with black writing.
The sticker would include the NZART website at the bottom.
A/P ZL2DL to thank Tony Case ZL1UD for his suggestion, Council are considering all options in this regard.
A/P ZL1TGC to look into the costs for the production of the ARRL based sticker “When all else fails…Amateur Radio”.
David ZL2SX and Doug ZL2TAR addressed the meeting. 9:50am
DATV Repeater and FMTAG information process: Concern raised that a public information release came from the Wellington VHF Group very shortly after Council was advised. Council felt this should have been run by them first.
There was concern raised by Council that the repeater input frequency was not offered so, information was incomplete. Hence reason for release of information withheld in HQ Info-line.
Discussion followed on TV Repeater licencing and the need for an input frequency to be provided.
70cm Band Plan Review: Council to form a working group to review the 70cm band plan, they wish FMTAG to participate in this review. ZL2TAR and ZL2SX both agreed.
Council asked if ZL2TAR has someone who can act on his behalf if away. There has been some concern that there is no coverage if he is away.
A formal process needs to be in place if Doug is sick. David confirms he is able to consult with other ARE’s if Doug is not able to function for some time.
A/P FMTAG to prepare a process of replacement engineering skills if ZL2TAR is not available. David to report back to Council on a suitable replacement in this event.
Council advised ARE or ARC is appropriate, and there are two ARC’s presently on Council that could be used.
Terry ZL4TAE suggested to Doug that Skype be a way of communicating between committee members. Terry to follow up as ZL2TAR not happy with this method.
Vaughan to discuss with Ann Fraser ZL3TNT as she had reviewed the process some time ago regarding Council meeting via Skype.
FF8/14 Liaison Officer Report
Received and agreed that attention needs to be given to finding replacement volunteers for those officers who have given notice that they intend to stand down.
FF8/15 HQ Work station
A report was submitted for Council’s consideration, approval was given for ERGO OT Ltd to continue in the recommendation of equipment required at HQ.
FF8/16 NZART, Future directions
ZL3PAH reported this is the area he has come on to Council to improve as no strategy is apparent.
After considerable discussion, Council suggested
Canvassing membership to determine what people want, this is a very important aspect of preparing a way forward.
ZL3PAH advised risks must be identified. Succession plans for Officers.
ZL2AMJ presented a copy of a members survey that was included in Nov Break In 1996 which was produced and analysed by a student.
A/P ZL2DL to copy 1996 survey and forward to Council for consideration.
Council agreed that this could be a way forward in realising the strategy in which the Association is going.
Phil suggested that a strategy can formed from the possibilities below
Members = 22%
License Lapse inactive
ZL3PAH is interested in getting a strategic plan together using the above process and tactics required to move forward.
A/P ZL3PAH to report progress on actions on the future direction of NZART, including HQ processes and documentation.
FF8/17 70cm Inverted repeaters
Documents prepared by Doug ZL2TAR August 2010
Council wish to formally adopt these documents from 2010, is FMTAG happy for this, or should they be updated.
David and Doug to review to confirm any updates. This initially occurred due to RSM changing the short term device changes.
AP FMTAG/ZL4TAE to advise Council any updates and confirm the paper can be adopted.
FF8/18 70cm Bandplan non-compliance with IARU Region 3 Bandplan
Submitted by Neill ZL1TAJ
Fred: 70cm bandplan is a draft and not recognised by any authority. It’s a reference at this point and put together and discussed at Auckland Conference in 2011.
ZL2AMJ it should not be recognised in order to set our own bandplan… it is not a rigid document.
Could be a discussion paper for R 3 by NZART for upcoming conference.
ZL1TGC advised there is a need to look at overall picture, the issue of the bandplan, should not be all consuming at meeting today.
Phil – Resolution has been made to review the 70cm bandplan, Council need to get submissions, and get on with other topics.
There is no other 70cm bandplan that is 10MHz wide containing a satellite sub-band that also makes provision for ATV. Protection for weak signal modes is needed. There is a need to concentrate on is FMTAG wanting to be involved?
Council has decided a working group will be formed to undertake the bandplan review and FMTAG will be part of this group.
Council agreed that the process for a working group to move forward as follows:
Terms & conditions, call for comment, working group to discuss and summarise, propose to Council. Council will seek further member comments.
ZL1TAJ, ZL1PK, ZL2AJ plus FMTAG committee to be working group.
A/P Neill ZL1TAJ, ZL1PK, ZL2AJ Group to form working group, elect a chairperson and report back to Council with a concise terms of reference for the working Group.
Call for ATV 70cm and special interest groups to include submissions to Council
Circulate summary of submissions made public and then a proposal to be formed and comments call for on proposal Council to see all submissions.
FF8/19 ATV Beacon, presented at AATV, but licensed as DATV
ZL1TAJ advised the ATV beacon was originally advertised as a repeater. In actual fact it was a test transmitter. Clarification of information needs to be addressed.
RSM are not prepared to spend money on the small change to their system for mere semantics. More information would have saved angst.
FF8/20 ALO report
In Geneva, Cubans came up with 5MHz submission and NZ seconded. Delegate agreed it was a good idea. This is one of those instances that makes our attendance at these meetings worthwhile.
First preparatory meeting for 2014 for WRC to be held in 2 weeks time. Four people have expressed interest in taking part to get access to 5MHz frequencies.
ZL2TLL reported that 50MHz, will not be returned when analogue TV switches off, only when the licenses expire, so no formal allocation until then.
TV band will be down there on 50MHz – ZL1TGC, asked is there any likelihood of being any stoppage from license holders when amateurs wish to gain access. This may be up to August 2015? ZL2TLL feels permits will be up to two months after shutdown. Access will then be issued on temporary/conditional basis, then move to GURL status.
500MHz – reached agreement between Police the Ministry and NZART, that providing no interference, will be allocated, once tests are completed. For ATV repeaters to transmit.
Motion: That John Yaldwyn be appointed to deputy ALO position to assist ALO.
Moved ZL2HD Seconded ZL1TPH Carried
SMART issues re deceased and GNA licenses holders.
Vaughan ZL1TGC wishes to meet with RSM regarding the above, Debby advised that a better process to manage this could be achieved if NZART had access to remove a record in SMART AND deactivate the record.
Don to check with RSM if any objection that Radio Sector minutes being distributed to Council.
ZL4TAE suggested to ZL2TAR that Skype be a way of communicating between committee members.
FF8/20 Web site
ZL2PAH reported that an urgent review of NZART web site is urgently needed for the future of the Association
Jim Tittsler/Mark Foster may help with a web site review.
Some Councillors reported that various buttons are misleading, searching web site becomes quite confusing and very cumbersome.
The current site has a huge number of files and is very content heavy.
A/P ZL1TGC to approach webmaster to make it more user friendly. Perhaps include a member’s only area as well.
FF8/21 Legacy Offer by an NZART Member
ZL1TGC reported that an offer, once the member becomes a silent key, to donate a grant to send one financial NZART member annually to an international hamfest. This is to be included in the last will and testament of that member.
This was gratefully received and acknowledged by Council.
FF8/22 Members not renewed from 2012
A/P ZL2DL to provide Council with a list of all names and addresses of those members who have not renewed for 2012.
ZL1TGC advised Councillors when contacting non-paid members to be sensitive to their needs, offer a payment option if hardship appears to be an issue.
ZL3PAH suggested an increased value of $9 or $10 per month to cover administrative costs in monthly payments.
FF8/24 General Business
1) Conference 2013
A/P ZL2DL to formally invite WIA President Phil Wait VK2ASD to NZART conference 2013.
2) AREC Monthly report
3) Amateur Radio Training Package.
Council expressed concern that the Branch 74 separate exam system was not picking up new members as the NZART system does. ZL2HD and ZL2AMJ reported that over 40 have passed using Fred ZL2AMJ’s system. ZL2DL advised that only four had joined NZART via Branch 74 in 2012.
ZL1TGC advised there is no reason why there isn’t a link on NZART website of ZL2AMJ’s training package.
A/P ZL1TGC to liaise with the webmaster to arrange a link on the NZART website.
Vote of thanks to Vaughan – all agreed
Meeting concluded at 4:15pm